Embedded Derby

The trivial issues are the one that drive you nuts because you waste too much time for something that should have taken 2 minutes at most.

Today I was fighting with a spring application that uses hibernate to talk to an embedded derby database.

So simple.

Because I am getting a java null pointer exception when I am trying to save an entity I decided to empty the embedded derby database directory so I could start fresh and make sure that this was not the issue. Again simple.

I started to have all sorts of issues in my spring application logs telling me that it could not create the database (I have the property for derby set to create=true).

All I needed to do was to the delete the directory itself and not just the content.

An hour wasted searching on Google and no one was as dumb as I and posted anything about this issue.

Published by


Java developper that loves photography and an excellent espresso

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s