Struggling with Kafka Connect

I have been working on deploying Kafka on a Kubernetes cluster using the Confluent platform and it has been much harder than I expected.

Deploying their zookeeper in a StatefulSet seemed impossible so I had to switch to using the Google version of zookeeper. I just could not get it to deploy with a serverId that was unique and the Google example made this trivial.

Kafka was easily deployed once Zookeeper was working.

Kafka Connect has been very difficult and I have tried quite a few combinations. Nothing seems to work. Basically, it times out.

If you want to see the latest update to the YAML and some notes to this struggle I have it on Github:



Learning Kotlin 1/10000

It is a nice language to learn but I am not dedicating enough time right now to make the progress I would like.

Little thing I learned last night was the repo for use the Anko “library” in my code.

maven { url "" }

Sometimes the simplest thing takes you an hour to figure out. All the examples for Anko that I looked at were partial so they showed the dependency line to add:


I guess that I have to be happy that I figured something out.

Back to coding a micro-service with Spring Boot and Kotlin…

Memory on my Laptop

I just wanted to know what memory was in my Linux laptop to buy another stick. It is actually easy and very descriptive on what can be done with your latop:

sudo dmidecode –type 17

Gives you a nice output with all the details:

# dmidecode 3.1
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x003E, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device 
    Array Handle: 0x003D 
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided 
    Total Width: 64 bits 
    Data Width: 64 bits 
    Size: 8192 MB 
    Form Factor: SODIMM 
    Set: None 
    Locator: DIMM A 
    Bank Locator: BANK 0 
    Type: DDR4 
    Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 
    Speed: 2400 MT/s 
    Manufacturer: 000000000000 
    Serial Number: 00000000 
    Asset Tag: 00000000 
    Part Number: HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH     
    Rank: 1 
    Configured Clock Speed: 2400 MT/s 
    Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V 
    Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V 
    Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

Handle 0x003F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device 
    Array Handle: 0x003D 
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided 
    Total Width: Unknown 
    Data Width: Unknown 
    Size: No Module Installed 
    Form Factor: Unknown 
    Set: None 
    Locator: ChannelB-DIMM0 
    Bank Locator: BANK 2 
    Type: Unknown 
    Type Detail: None 
    Speed: Unknown 
    Manufacturer: Not Specified 
    Serial Number: Not Specified 
    Asset Tag: Not Specified 
    Part Number: Not Specified 
    Rank: Unknown Configured 
    Clock Speed: Unknown 
    Minimum Voltage: Unknown 
    Maximum Voltage: Unknown 
    Configured Voltage: Unknown


Hibernate relationship

Software version that were used:

  1. Spring Boot 1.5.9

The error message that triggered all the research:

2017-12-08 18:02:48.438 UTC [73] ERROR: constraint "uk_n7c2qd0x7l2yaq2xyyvs21rej" of relation "software_suite_instance" does not exist
2017-12-08 18:02:48.438 UTC [73] STATEMENT: alter table public.software_suite_instance drop constraint UK_n7c2qd0x7l2yaq2xyyvs21rej

The code fix was to properly map in both entities the link between them.

In the child entity we needed to add a field for the parent entity like:

private ParentEntity parentEntity;

// Create a getter and setter for parentEntity

The error stopped showing up after this correction.


Great way to start the new year, promise that you will practice something new to learn it the only way that will allow you to remember it or even master it.

I am now trying to decide if I should decide a new Javascript framework or learn Groovy with some framework.

I like the rules but it will be quite demanding when you think about the busy life that will all have. The most challenging in my books is that the hour of code can’t be done at work. This will mean a lot of time in front of a computer every day.