Day 1 of a 100

Decided to try to learn Java 8 and Spring 5 but the first commit is using Spring Boot 2.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT.

I got a working controller and everything is building with Gradle 3.3.

https://github.com/cinq/cham

 

Advertisements

Apache Commons Configuration and Map

Until today, the Apache Commons Configuration was a very helpful tool as a quick configuration utility in many projects. For loading simple configuration item it is fine.

I was trying to find a way to store and read a Map to contain some configuration and there is was no easy way that I could find. I came up with a Krusty solution for now but I am hoping that I can find something more elegant.

GitHub Repo with example code.

Jackson and mapping fields

I was trying to use the useragentstring.com api to query and map browsers to my custom object and I did not want to name my fields with agent_type, agent_name and agent_version.

Simple solution that I found on this page was to annotate my properties in the class with:

@JsonProperty(“agent_type”)
@JsonProperty(“agent_name”)
@JsonProperty(“agent_version”)

The mapping is happening automatically.

Very simple.

Using log4j for email alerts in an application

I want to explore how using log4j for email alerts in an application is feasible but how well it works in a real application.

The idea came from the fact that a team I work with change the rules for alerts on a regular basis based on the work and the situations they are caught in. It is clear that we have to stop changing the code to accommodate the new rules they give us.

Log4j is a possibility and I found this blog post that talks about it:

http://www.srccodes.com/p/article/18/send-logs-by-email-notification-using-apache-log4j-smtpappender

Impact of the scope on the maven assembly plugin

For a Spark project I needed to bundle some dependencies and I found a few Stackoverflow answers that explained to add this section to your pom.xml:

<plugin>
	<artifactId>maven-assembly-plugin</artifactId>
	<executions>
		<execution>
			<phase>package</phase>
			<goals>
				<goal>single</goal>
			</goals>
		</execution>
	</executions>
	<configuration>
		<descriptorRefs>
			<descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
		</descriptorRefs>
	</configuration>
</plugin>

But once I packaged my application I ended up with a huge jar file. It contained everything the application needed.

My mistake was that the pom.xml did not contain the proper scope for each dependency and because of that they were all getting bundled into the jar.

Specified that a few were provided (provided) and it reduced the jar size considerably.

How a small missing piece can change other behaviours drastically.

Git error on a new repository

I was puzzled by a Git error I saw today.

I simple create a git repo on the “server”:

mkdir /git/newRepo

git init /git/newRepo

 

Then on my workstation I cloned it and added a file:

git clone ssh://server/git/newRepo

cd newRepo

vi test

git add test

git commit -m “testing”

git push

 

and I get this error:

No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as ‘master’.
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
error: failed to push some refs to ‘ssh://server/git/newRepo’

 

From reading a StackOverFlow answer I understood that the issue on the server side is that the new Git repository is open on the master branch by the user that created it and so it prevents a push to it because it could corrupt it. One way was to make the repo a bare one but another it to get the remote use into another branch than master.

On the server:

 

vi README

git add README

git commit -m “README”

git checkout -b test

 

and after that command I can pull and push normally.

 

git pull

git push

 

 

Reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2816369/git-push-error-remote-rejected-master-master-branch-is-currently-checked

Random Password Generator in Java

I needed a random password generator done in Java and while reading a few articles here and there I did not find the solution I was looking for. Piecing a few of them I came up with some code.

One of the requirement that made this a bit more complicated is that I needed to have a special character in the password but from a limited list of possible special characters.
I also needed to make sure that it respected some basic complexity rules.

It has a dependency on the commons-lang 3 library from Apache but since I already had it in my project it was easy to accommodate.

Maven dependency:

<dependency>
	<groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
	<artifactId>commons-lang3</artifactId>
	<version>3.3.1</version>
</dependency>

Java code:

package com.halogensoftware.hosting.example;

import org.apache.commons.lang3.RandomStringUtils;

public class Random {

	public static void main(String args[]){
		String pwd = "";
		for ( int i = 0; i < 1000; i++ ) {
			do {
				pwd = RandomStringUtils.random(12, "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890%#^*:");
			} while (!valid(pwd));
			System.out.println(i + ".valid pwd: " + pwd);
		}
	}

	private static boolean valid(String pwd){
		return (pwd.matches(".*([0-9]).*") && pwd.matches(".*([a-z]).*") && pwd.matches(".*([A-Z]).*") && pwd.matches(".*([%#^*:]).*"));
	}
}